Religious Education for Children
“But Jesus called for them and said,
‘Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them;
for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs.
Truly I tell you,
whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child,
will never enter it.” Luke 18: 16-17
"Education in the faith by the parents should begin in the child's earliest years. This already happens when family members help one another to grow in faith by the witness of a Christian life in keeping with the Gospel. Family catechesis precedes, accompanies, and enriches other forms of instruction in the faith. Parents have the mission of teaching their children to pray and to discover their vocation as children of God. The parish is the Eucharistic community and the heart of the liturgical life of Christian families; it is a privileged place for the catechesis of children and parents." Catechism of the Catholic church #2226
Our mission is to help you as parents/guardians to nurture and foster growth in the Catholic faith of your children. This is accomplished with help from Catechists/volunteers of our Parish who give of their time and talents.
We offer Religious Education for children from 3 years old through the 8th grade:
- Jesus and Me - the Preschool and Kindergarten program, is on Sunday mornings during the 10:15 am Mass in the Education Center.
- Liturgy of the Word for Children - is on Sunday during the 10:15 am Mass to help children in grades K-3 to better understand the Sunday readings and how they can put God's Word into action in their lives.
- Parish School of Religion (PSR) - for students in grades 1 through 8 is designed to assist families of children attending public school in their religious education. Students meet on Monday or Tuesday evenings in the Education Center.
- Sacramental Preparation for Children - is the process of welcoming all young people to prepare for and celebrate the Sacraments of First Reconciliation, First Eucharist and Confirmation.
- Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults for Children (RCIA for Children) - is for children seven years of age or older who have not been baptized; have been baptized in another Christian tradition; or have not had sacramental preparation at the traditional grade levels. Children participate along with their families in the catechumenate. The formation process for children is modeled on the adult process.
- Vacation Bible School - is a week-long summer camp for children ages 4 years to grade 4. Music, crafts, Scripture, prayer, and play are all important components of Sacred Heart's Vacation Bible School.
It is our hope that these programs assist you, as your child’s first catechist, to realize a deeper understanding of the words and ideas which guide the Catholic understanding of God. And to foster a growing spiritual sense of closeness with God by fully living out the faith as part of a community of service.
Contact: School of Religion - 636-225-0341